Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Ways to Overcome Cognitive Dysfunction
Research has shown that the brain is continually working to produce new cells and form neural connections; this process is called neuroplasticity. Which means that you can rewire your brain at any age. Here are a few tips to help you improve your brain health and live with greater wellness.
- Stay physically active. Numerous studies have shown that exercise can improve your ability to learn, handle stress, improve decision-making ability, and recall facts and memories. One reason for this is that exercise increases blood flow to the hippocampus, the region of your brain responsible for memory.
- Get Restorative sleep. Getting adequate sleep is essential to maintaining a healthy brain. Sleeplessness can muddle the electrical activity that allows neurons to regenerate by blocking the brain’s natural reset mechanism.
- Acknowledge your ability to change. Believing that you can improve your skills and being open to new experiences like traveling, learning new skills or languages are shown to improve cognitive function.
- Manage emotional well-being. Stress, anxiety and depression, when prolonged, have been shown to take a toll on cognitive functioning, leading to [TVBLOGCOPY]impaired memory and cognitive decline[/TVBLOGCOPY][MWSBLOGCOPY]impaired memory and cognitive decline[/MWSBLOGCOPY]. Additionally, high levels of cortisol damage the brain resulting in long-term changes in the structure and function of your brain.
- Engage in mindfulness and spirituality. A growing body of research has conclusively demonstrated the powerful, positive effects of mindfulness practices like meditation and prayer on the brain and body. In one study, researchers reported that they found a direct correlation between the level of importance a person places on spirituality in their lives and the thickness of certain regions of their brains.
[TVBLOGCOPY]Learn More About Brain Health:[/TVBLOGCOPY][TVBLOGCOPY]Explore the science behind neuroplasticity, how diet and lifestyle affect your brain health and new therapeutic treatments to improve cognitive well-being here.[/TVBLOGCOPY]